Practical Solutions for Your Family's Legal Needs

Establishing Paternity

Paternity is simply who is legally the father of the child.  A biological father, not married to the child's mother, must establish paternity before seeking custody or parenting time with the child.  Also, the Court can't order child support until paternity is established.  If the parents are not married when a child is born, the child has no legal father until paternity is established by either:  (1) Recognition of Parentage, or (2) a Paternity Order (Adjudication) from the Court.

You can read more about establishing custody and parenting time for an unmarried biological father here.  It is a good idea to seek the advice of an attorney before bringing a paternity or a custody/parenting time action.  

Switch to Mobile Version

Disclaimer: No case or client-specific information is discussed on this website. The content provided is informational only and should not be construed as legal advice.